How do I run Unreal without spending money?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Hurricane

How do I run Unreal without spending money?

Post by Hurricane »

I only have one computer that I use to run mIRC on. I want to run an Unreal server but I don't have another computer to run it on and I can't run it on this one because I turn it off frequently. I don't have money for a shell so how do I get someone to host a server for me for free?
katsklaw

Re: How do I run Unreal without spending money?

Post by katsklaw »

short answer, you don't.

Long answer: You can't really get anything for free. While there are free shell services, many don't allow irc servers and those that do are likely to shutdown without notice or on crappy connections.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Are most servers run on shells or do some people manage to run a server from their home with a long uptime?
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

A bit of both, plus many are on VPS and dedicated servers. I've run irc servers from home before, even on dial-up back in the day when IRC was teh real.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

The best thing to do to 'run a server' without spending money is to set up a channel (or group of channels) on a small network that is already in existence. If the network is small and your channel(s) make up the bulk of their users as well as being well-behaved you might be able to become staff on that network. The simplest thing to do is get your users there and be patient. Make your presence known to staff. You won't get access instantly, but if you can prove to be helpful and know what you're doing you might just make them happy.

Alternatively if you have many dedicated users and want to start a network you could always ask for donations. However keep in mind users donating server space will always be in total control of your network.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Hehe, I still got so much to learn from this forum. The only thing I know about opening something in IRC is that you need to open your new channel, then have a certain amount of users to idle there for a while, and then you can invite a Q bot to join. But I wish to learn more about opening an actual server...