Some users can't connect...

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
the redsuk

Some users can't connect...

Post by the redsuk »

Hi all,

using unreal 3.2.9 with anope services. on my dedicated server CENTOS 5.8 x86_64

I have set up an irc for a forum I have

I have manged to link the anope services fine and all seems perfect.

I can connect with all clients but some of my members are having problems connecting.

of those those that have tried I would say the majority can connect but many cannot, although they can connect to all other irc servers they use.

some feedback i have is
Getting " Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)"

Using mIRC.
[12:12] *** Socket Error (10051: The network cannot be reached from this host at this time.)
[12:12] *** Unable to connect to IRC server
[12:12] *** Disconnected (2012-09-25 12:12:44)
there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who can't connect or any particular client

not posted any info about my irc server or config here as not sure what info you may need to help with this.

or whether its a problem the users side.

Thanks
katsklaw

Re: Some users can't connect...

Post by katsklaw »

Not all connection problems are your fault, nor can you fix them. We can start by you sharing the server address so we can try to connect. It should also be noted that just because a user can connect to one network but not yours doesn't mean anything because the physical network paths are different and the real problem could be between the user and your server.
the redsuk

Post by the redsuk »

ok m y server is

(deleted per request) - katsklaw
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

I connected from my laptop just fine and then tried from a couple of servers I have in the same DC and timed out. a trace route showed a little lag in a hop in Portland, OR of 105ms which is high for the connection speed used but nothing that seems to be a huge problem. Ask your users that can not connect to trace route your server from the machine they cannot connect from and see if there are issues. If they too go through portland, then there may be internet issues in that area.
the redsuk

Post by the redsuk »

ok I think this is sorted now,

all user where trying to connect on port 6667, i gave them the alternative 8067 and everything seems fine now

could any mod edit my server address on the post above please