IP address shows routers ip instead of users

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
davers

IP address shows routers ip instead of users

Post by davers »

My only problem i am having is this..
A user logs onto the server. I notice his/her ip address is 192.168.1.1
This is my router. The router is a D-Link DIR-615 running DD-WRT software.
The host is running Freebsd 8.2, the ip address of this machine is 192.168.1.100

What am i missing so users ip addresses will be shown either in logs, etc.

Thank you in advance

Dave
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: IP address shows routers ip instead of users

Post by Stealth »

Is this user connecting from inside your network, using a client installed on your server (like shell access), or a webpage for chatting on your site?

If any of the above is true, you will not see their actual IP address.
davers

Post by davers »

The user(s) are using the Mirc client.
darkex

Post by darkex »

The client your user(s) use is irrelevant. The network setup needs to be known in order to figure out where the problem is.

Where's the client connecting from? Is it from the internet to your home server?
cards

Post by cards »

I believe his clients are connecting from the internet through a port forward in his router. So essentially the clients are connecting to his router, in which they are then forwarded to his server. Please provide us a network map of what your network looks like. I will post mine as an example.

INTERNET -> Hughsnet 9200 Modem (192 private IP Client Side) -> WRT54G (Used as Switch/AP, not router) -> Clients/Server

Or at my office

INTERNET -> Charter Modem -> WRT54G (Used as router. WAN port has public IP). -> Clients/Servers
NetAdmin
irc.420-HighTimes.com
cards

Post by cards »

Just took another look at your origional post. I am correct in my assumption. I believe this is an issue with DD-WRT, as I don't believe it is doing a simple Port Forward. Your DD-WRT seems to be doing a proxy forward instead, and thus connecting clients as if they are connecting from your router. Try a Factory Stock Router and see if the issue persists. If it shows their IP instead of the routers with a stock router, I believe we could narrow it down to DD-WRT

Seems like you have Squid enabled on your DD-WRT. (See Below):

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Sq ... e_Solution
The result is that packets arriving at the proxy have a source IP address of the router rather than the original client.
NetAdmin
irc.420-HighTimes.com