Websocket

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Websocket

Post by Syzop »

UnrealIRCd 4.0.10 supports the WebSocket protocol. This allows web browsers to connect directly to IRC (using JavaScript).

See here for more information on how to configure the module. Also have a look at this very crude example which will connect to irc.unrealircd.org and join #websocket.

Do you know any good clients which use WebSockets to connect directly to an IRC server? Let us know.
prawnsalad

Re: Websocket

Post by prawnsalad »

Hi!

Great job on the websocket support, and bonus points for the binary + plaint text support!

The next version of Kiwi IRC (https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/ for a preview) supports connecting directly to IRCds using plain websockets so this should be a good match. However theres one thing that's preventing this from working that I can tell. From looking at your example page it looks to require a trailing newline when sending messages from the client? Which is very odd for websockets considering websockets are message based already. The client side should not have to deal with that.

I'm in #kiwiirc on freenode if you would like to go over things and get a test going. Lets get a Unreal + Kiwi working directly in a clean way <3
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

It would be very nice indeed. I'm using KiwiIRC for webchats in my network, and it a great webchat system. Gathering efforts to make things work between UnrealIRCd and KiwiIRC on websockets, would be a great thing to all the networks that run UnrealIRCd as their IRCd, because it's not needed almost any configuration in both sides. Thumbs up!
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Email sent :)
ivp

Post by ivp »

ivp

Post by ivp »

Did anybody manage to make Kiwi IRC web client work directly with UnrealIRCd (without gateway)?