Can receive but not Send

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

minty

Can receive but not Send

Post by minty »

Im able to get messages both private and in general chat with ease but Im unable to send anything back. Any clue why?
CrazyCat

Re: Can receive but not Send

Post by CrazyCat »

This doesn't seem to be an unreal trouble if other people can send message. The problem might be your client
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Might happen with a wrong / too large spamfilter.
In this case, check you can still /Join and /List
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

There can be many reasons for a message to be blocked. However, when UnrealIRCd blocks a private message, it will always send a notice or numeric reply about it to the sending IRC client*. So look around and make sure you don't see such an error message (in the window or in the status window). Anyway, the most obvious thing would be to check your /IGNORE list on the receiving client (not the sender). Other options that can help are firing up a debug window in your IRC client (eg: "/debug -pt @debug" in mIRC) so you can see everything that is going on. Or try a different client altogether.

*: The only exception is SILENCE, but I very much doubt that's the cause. In fact, if you are missing channel messages as well then it's definitely not SILENCE
minty

Post by minty »

I can't /join channels either
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

IMHO, you're probably being /SHUN'ed in the network.
It's the only command that I know that can stop a user from doing anything, from sending messages to execute basic commands.
Last edited by PeGaSuS on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

The_Myth wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 am IMHO, you're probably being /SHUN'ed in the network.
It's the only command that I know that can stop a user from doing anything, since sending messages to execute basic commands.
I had this idea, but if he's shuned, he can't join any channel.
Koragg

Post by Koragg »

Post by minty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I can't /join channels either

As the person states in their reply, they are unable to /JOIN as well which highly indicates a /SHUN as that is how it behaves (receiving is fine, but sending is not). This and as it was suggested a wrong or too large /spamfliter should have been the first assumptions, not a client sided issue.

Regards,

Koragg
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

@minty, is this your own server? If not, I suggest you to contact the IRC server admin of the server.
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

CrazyCat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm
The_Myth wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 am IMHO, you're probably being /SHUN'ed in the network.
It's the only command that I know that can stop a user from doing anything, since sending messages to execute basic commands.
I had this idea, but if he's shuned, he can't join any channel.
He/she stated that can't /JOIN any channels.
Although, you can still be joined to a channel(s) if there's a set::auto-join in place.
I still bet in a /SHUN
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support