Config Generator

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

ctn|chrisw

Config Generator

Post by ctn|chrisw »

Hey, I dont know if this is the right place to post this.

Does anyone know if theres any shell scripts to generate a config file for unreal ircd? I like how the one for Neostats lets you input the basic info, and then you edit the file it generates with the rest of the details. I maintain 3 irc servers and Itd make it easier this way :) I saw theres a module for webmin but I dont have root access on one of my irc boxes and the other has directadmin so I cant install it :\
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

Currently i dont think there is a gen for unreal. I will how ever be making an online config gen once unreal go's final.
ctn|chrisw

Post by ctn|chrisw »

DeMiNe0 wrote:Currently i dont think there is a gen for unreal. I will how ever be making an online config gen once unreal go's final.
An online one would rock :)
jewles

ctn|chrisw: Configuration Generators

Post by jewles »

THERE ARE NO UNREALIRCD CONFIGURATION GENERATORS! And to speak of it is very bad. Codemastr frowns at generators because he and many others feel that if you don't have the ability to read the example.conf and release notes and produce your own file you shouldn't be trying to run an ircd. The development guys spend a lot of time writing doumentation for it not to be read! so go read!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Hear hear.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

As jewles said, we don't really like config generators. We used to have a ./makeconf, but we removed it. The reason was, it promoted stupidity. People would run ./makeconf, never look at the generated config file, and then would be totally lost when things didn't work correctly. For example, they'd have no idea why servers would undo everything ChanServ did because they had no idea what ulines were. They didn't know why nicks like NickServ/ChanServ couldn't be used by users but BotServ could (because makeconf only added some standard default qlines), etc. In the end, we found it better if people actually read and learn. That makes them better able to deal with future problems.
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

If you have any programming skills, it would be very easy to create such generator yourself. Only then would you be worthy of it ;) because you must basically understand everything there is about the config file to make a decent generator.

I suppose one could make a Registry Editor-like program to edit the config file in a manner that shows all the blocks and directives and what-not in a Windoze Exploder- erm, Explorer format, but wouldn't actually say something like "Please enter your network admin's username and password:" and generate an admin and oper block automatically. It would make you know what blocks/directives need to be entered, just lets you edit them in a more managable way rather than sifting through 400+ lines of comment-less configuration, make one bad typo, and throw your ircd into chaos on the next rehash.
ctn|chrisw

Post by ctn|chrisw »

I am making one that spits out configs for my ircnet, just a question, the php md5() function's output can be used in o:lines right?
jewles

Post by jewles »

the php md5() function's output can be used in o:lines right?
If you are talking about passwords

Code: Select all

password "PASS-MD5" { md5; };
If this is what you mean, yes it's supported... :) But I have a feeling you mean md5 within php... :)
ctn|chrisw

Post by ctn|chrisw »

jewles wrote:
the php md5() function's output can be used in o:lines right?
If you are talking about passwords

Code: Select all

password "PASS-MD5" { md5; };
If this is what you mean, yes it's supported... :) But I have a feeling you mean md5 within php... :)
I meant if I have someone enter the pass they want on my webpage and give me the md5 generated from the md5() function, will it be the same as generating it with unreal and specifying it as md5 in the config.
The_deViL

Post by The_deViL »

[chat@l3 Unreal3.2]$ ./unreal mkpasswd md5 test
Encrypted password is: CY9rzUYh03PK3k6DJie09g==

<?
echo md5("test");
?>
098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6

So no, it doesn't appear to work. The biggest Q I have is really why you simply didn't do a quick trial-n-error to see if it would work? ;)

However, if you are really interested in making this you could always make PHP run the md5 maker and return the value. But I must say I _do not_ recomend this :P (obvious reasons).

But if you are to make a stricly private generator and you feel that you are 200% sure about user-input validation you can always do it, but I wouldn't make it execute from your main unreal exec.. Do a copy of it..

But as I said, I really wouldn't recomend this..
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
jewles

md5 vs sha1

Post by jewles »

I must have been a little tired before, becasue I would have suggested using sha1 becasue it has a little more stronger encryption...

Authentication phrase (method=md5, para=pass) is: Gh3JHJBzJcaScd3wyUS8cg==

Authentication phrase (method=sha1, para=pass) is: nU4eI71bcnBGqeO0t9tXvY1u5oQ=
Yoshi

php-md5

Post by Yoshi »

base64_encode(pack("H*",md5("yourpass"))) will return what you want

-Yoshi
ctn|chrisw

Re: php-md5

Post by ctn|chrisw »

Yoshi wrote:base64_encode(pack("H*",md5("yourpass"))) will return what you want

-Yoshi
Thanks that works perfectly
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

I must have been a little tired before, becasue I would have suggested using sha1 becasue it has a little more stronger encryption...
"A little" is an understatement. SHA1 is much more secure than MD5. But really, of the hashes Unreal supports, RIPEMD-160 is the best. It's the same length hash as SHA1 (160bits), but it is generally regarded as a stronger algorithm.
-- codemastr