libcurl location on ubuntu

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

RocketSkates

libcurl location on ubuntu

Post by RocketSkates »

UnrealIRCd comes with support for 'remote includes', this allows things like:
include "https://www.example.org/files/opers.conf";
Do you want to compile with the libcurl library to enable additional protocols?
If you answer 'No' then only https:// links will work for remote includes.
Answer 'Yes' if you need other protocols, such as plaintext http, ftp, tftp or smb.
Most people answer 'No' here because they don't use remote includes or only need https.
[Yes] ->

Specify the directory you installed libcurl to
[/usr] -> ?

I really need to use smb for remote includes, but cannot locate libcurl.

curl is already the newest version (7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10).
libcurl4-openssl-dev is already the newest version (7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10).

Thanks for any help on this!
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: libcurl location on ubuntu

Post by Syzop »

It works for me, with those packages, on what I think is the same Ubuntu version (22.04).

Code: Select all

# dpkg --list|grep curl
ii  curl                                   7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10                       amd64        command line tool for transferring data with URL syntax
ii  libcurl3-gnutls:amd64                  7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10                       amd64        easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (GnuTLS flavour)
ii  libcurl4:amd64                         7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10                       amd64        easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (OpenSSL flavour)
ii  libcurl4-openssl-dev:amd64             7.81.0-1ubuntu1.10                       amd64        development files and documentation for libcurl (OpenSSL flavour)
--snip--
What error do you get, can you copy-paste the exact full error line(s)?
RocketSkates

Post by RocketSkates »

As it turns out, you have to actually install libcurl first. Sorry for the total derp, what I'm on is kinda dangerous.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Delete the thread if you like.
RocketSkates

Post by RocketSkates »

Ok so I'm not trying to stroke your ego or anything, but I do have to say a few things before I post my next issue.

Sir, I've been playing around with your chat server for a very long time, and have had a great time with it. I cannot exactly recall the year (I'm thinking 2008) but I got into this stuff about the time the third party mod SecureServ was nearing its end in development. I learned how to compile and do a lot of stuff with nix servers using your software. I've since had about a decade of for whatever reason, didnt have access to my own computers or the means to continue the hobby until recently, and have been once again trying to customize, configure and play around with everything again.

I posted the previous question after doing a quick search to see if anyone else had a similar issue, not really expecting much activity or help. It was absolutely awesome to learn how active you still are in development, the new stuff that's been added since I've been gone, and to even see you reply personally to my question! I still consider myself a noob with all this stuff, but if I can help out somehow just let me know. It would be a pleasure!

So this time I've tried to do as much do diligence as possible.

I have a frontend and a backend server. Frontend has my Apache and Unreal servers running, while the backend is used for the SQL server, SMB server for backups and files. I want to use the smb server on the backend to host the remote includes.

If I open ' smb://user:[email protected]/private/chat/remote-includes.conf ' from a terminal, it works and opens the file. but if I use it in unrealircd.conf:
' include "smb://user:[email protected]/private/chat/remote-includes.conf"; ' I get

[error] /srv/chat/conf/unrealircd.conf:11: Failed to download 'smb://***:***@192.168.1.81/private/chat/remote-includes.conf':

If I set up Apache on the backend server and use ' include "http://192.168.1.81/remote-includes.conf"; ' it works.

/var/www/html : -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 515 Apr 4 21:06 remote-includes.conf
/srv/private/chat : -rwxrwxrwx 1 user user 515 Apr 4 15:33 remote-includes.conf

I can use the http method if needed, but would really rather not run Apache just for remote includes. Any ideas?
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

Mount your smb share as a directory rather than trying to use smb://
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

When you say "[error] /srv/chat/conf/unrealircd.conf:11: Failed to download 'smb://***:***@192.168.1.81/private/chat/remote-includes.conf':", there is no text after that, with like more error details? I think we try to retrieve error details from cURL at least.

You can also try running the curl binary (the program) and see what it says. I mean, both 'curl' and 'unrealircd' use libcurl, so either they both fail or both succeed. And maybe the curl binary gives more helpful output.
The syntax is then (so on the command line):

curl -v "smb://***:***@192.168.1.81/private/chat/remote-includes.conf"
(with of course your actual user:passwd of course instead of ***:***)
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

If I remember well, to use smb with curl, the syntax is:

curl -u "username:passwd" smb://server.example.com/share/file.txt
RocketSkates

Post by RocketSkates »

Still working on this but now trying to deploy on aws. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them this weekend!