Cloaking + /oper

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

sox

Cloaking + /oper

Post by sox »

Hi , I just installed unrealircd-6.1.1.1 and I don't know how to set up some things:
1) I want to just /oper user pass from everywhere without ssl/ttls how to do that ?
(You need to use a secure connection (TLS) in order to /OPER.) .... I don't have tls/ssl working at my client side

2) When I connect to the ircd I see this : "my.network" UnrealIRCd-6.1.1.1 diopqrstwxzBDGHIRSTWZ beIacdfhiklmnopqrstvzCDFGHKLMNOPQRSTVZ
and a bunch of info like :
1,USERHOST:,USERIP:,WATCH:,WHOIS:1,WHOWAS:1 TOPICLEN=360 UHNAMES are supported by this server
USERIP WALLCHOPS WATCH=128 WATCHOPTS=A WHOX are supported by this server
I want to disable everything so only minimal stuff is showed on connect ...

3) when I connect to the unrealircd server I can actually see my ip and if I type : /USERIP myNICK I can see the ip ...
I want to disable every option to normal user except admin/oper : /who /uptime /map /list /userip /host / /vhost
like in unrealircd 3.6 I want every user to be hiddent except admins/opers

+ I want to Cloak the ip better ...
from 1.1.1.1 to cloak-Q-Z.1.1 if possible...
Please help, because it's not just me ..We are running old versions of unrealircd (3.something..) and someone got hacked :(
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Re: Cloaking + /oper

Post by PeGaSuS »

Hi,

Regarding #1, I strongly advise you to update your IRC client and use one with SSL/TLS support.. For Windows I suggest AdiIRC and for Linux Hexchat.
If you still want to OPER without connecting via SSL/TLS, take a look at the plaintext-policy.

Regarding #2, all of that needs to be announced to the IRC client so the client knows the supported capabilities, such as SASL support, the amount of bans a channel can have, etc. Disabling them (which I think it's impossible), would result on broken IRC clients.

Regarding #3, you can take a look at the Security page, especially to the set::restrict-commands part. Be aware that if you block some commands you'll literally break IRC clients.
Also, even with cloaking, you will always see your own IP (after all, it's your own info) as IRCops will be able to see it too.

Regarding the cloak part: take a look at cloak-method setting.
I advise to set it to ip, so that way all users connecting via IPv4 will have a cloak like XXX.YYY.ZZZ.IP and users connecting via IPv6 will have a cloak like XXX:YYY:ZZZ:IP, not showing even the hostname. If that's not what you're after, then you'll need to ask for a custom module.

You can also read our documentation which is very extensive and has lots of examples or you can join us on IRC on the #unreal-support channel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
sox

Post by sox »

soo ... nothing concrete : About Oper stuff and where and what exactly to change ...
It's on my server the unrealircd , my rules .... yeah I want to fully be restricted or restricted as much as possible and ....nevermind
I was hoping for something like : for oper or restrict X modify this file and change this with this ....
forget it ...thanks for nothing :(
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

I've pointed you to the relevant documentation, so you can read upon and do the changes you need/want.

You have several examples there, each one related to your issues and you even have how to disable the need for an oper to use SLL/TLS to oper-up.
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
sox

Post by sox »

in other words use a different ircd because we don't bother to give specific explications to to specific question ... go and read README.fYOU /// got it... nice support just shut the forum down if you don't want to give good and nice explanations...
THANKS FOR NOGHING!
PS:STOP giving advice ,you are horrible at that ...
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

What are complaining about, "nothing concrete" !? You got 3 or actually 4 good answers from PeGaSuS with direct links to specific configuration items. Except for #2, which indeed is not possible and would break clients (exactly what PeGaSuS said)... ask any IRC client developer or IRC server developer in this world and they will confirm. I could not have said anything of it any better, really.

I'm closing this thread, as anything further is obviously not going to leading to anywhere...