Want to help out with Unreal?

News about the UnrealIRCd project, including release announcements
Stskeeps
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Want to help out with Unreal?

Post by Stskeeps »

Okay, so we are now trying a little different development model for 3.3 these days. If you have some C knowledge, shell script, knowledge, documentation, or in general just some good testing abilities, join us in #unreal-devel on irc.unrealircd.com. The guidelines here are for *nix

How to check out the current development version of 3.3:

Requirements: CVS installed (typically "cvs" on your shell)
$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:@cvs.ircsystems.net:/home/cmunk/ircsystems/cvsroot login
$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:@cvs.ircsystems.net:/home/cmunk/ircsystems/cvsroot checkout -r devel -d unreal-devel unreal

You will now have a copy of unreal in the folder "unreal-devel"

How to update to newest snapshot (do this often)

Be in the unreal-devel folder, and:

$ cvs up -P -d

(Make sure to "./Config -q" and "make clean all")

General things you can do to help out:

= Test out the changes we have done (look in Changes, bottom) as they get included =
* If you find a bug, report it on http://bugs.unrealircd.org/ (Make an account), and mark the version as 3.3-alpha0
* Get the build of the IRCd using ./unreal version (this makes it easier for us to track the bug), or look in the Changes file, where it starts with $Id

= Try to reproduce a bug other people have reported =
* Look at http://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=3049
* And look for "new", "acknowledged" or "feedback" bugs, and read through the comments/notes if someone has already reproduced it (if you think you can get better detail, feel free to try and reproduce too)
* Leave a comment/note noting you have

= If you can fix bugs, or want to try =
* Then also look for "confirmed" bugs
* Fix the bug - if you have questions, feel free to ask in #unreal-devel . Other coders will be there (and Stskeeps/syzop/aquanight) that may help/mentor you along in the bug fixing process. Make a bug note saying you're looking at it.
* Make sure the bug still happens on your snapshot, and it is the most recent (update)
* TEST if your compile still works (or whatever you changed needs to be tested if it works still)
* In the unreal-devel folder (provided you are using the most recent snapshot!):
$ cvs diff -u > patchname.patch
* Upload it to the bug report you fixed
* Wait for us to reply, and we will patch it. Grab our attention on #unreal-devel (Basically, say in #unreal-devel "Stskeeps, #bugnumber, and patch name" or, address WolfSage, aquanight or Trocotonic)
* We will then patch it and acknowledge the patcher and the bug reported in the Changes log (and in the end, in /info or credits, as having contributed to the release)
* We may contact you again through the bug tracker (please check up on it, or check the email registered with the bugtracker) or decline the patch if it is broken - don't take this as a downfall, it is just if you have to fix something before we commit it to the source (keeping it stable that way).
* We may decline patches that we don't feel fitting for Unreal releases, but other people may have use for them, and practice in coding for unreal is always good . ;)

= 3rd Party Modules or services etc =

If you want to code modules, #unreal-devel is also the place.
A list of things/ideas etc will be at http://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=3284 .

We might choose to include 3rd party modules into the normal distribution at some time if they are properly stable and generic enough for all networks.

= FAQ =

Q: Aren't you unreal coders mean and sadistic people? That's what the rumour says
A: Only if you are a furry animal and we have the need to sacrifice you. Really, we are friendly, just listen to us when we try to help you, and do not message us in private (without being invited), and talk primarily in the channel. Knowing proper english always helps.

Q: Will bug fixes get released in the 3.2.* branch?
A: Yes, if they are suitable for stable release, but these will not be backported in the same speed as 3.3 development.

Q: Can I run 3.3 on my network?
A: Well, if you want to. We cannot promise stability though.

EDIT: Sorry, had made a mistake in the CVS checkout..

/Stskeeps
0atwin

Re: Want to help out with Unreal?

Post by 0atwin »

It's really helpful. Thanks for sharing.
jshaiju

Post by jshaiju »

Very nice. Thank you so much. Keep up the work.
andrewz

Post by andrewz »

I didn't realy know well c++ iy looks like c ) I have only teach C++ in scholl. But very usersul information.
TechSlayer

Post by TechSlayer »

sts,

what's the deal with 3.3 are you still looking for any kind of help or do you have enough hands on deck? Personally I am not able to contribute, but I do have a number of leads that might be beneficial to the project if you still need a little bit of help with the code, etc. I know we have all been looking forward to 3.3 for some time, it's going to be epic...