Module Request: New Op Mode and Symbol

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Swampy

Module Request: New Op Mode and Symbol

Post by Swampy »

I'd like a module coding please, which would give anyone who /OPER's up, The ! symbol (mode +y is apparently unused)
on all channels, and the mode cannot be removed, and gives the oper immunity from being kicked/banned by normal
users (except via services, as that would cause wars)

Many Thanks in advance.
cheiron

Re: Module Request: New Op Mode and Symbol

Post by cheiron »

i like the idea of this module also .. but ...

i would rather just to see the mode on a channel to "show who is a server operator" at a glance to save a user having to whois all the time.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Personally I fail to see the point. Ircops aren't supposed to manage channels and by "marking" them with a flag or umode will only draw attention to them even when such attention is undesirable.

Ircops are not always available and they too deserve the right to chat. By marking opers you will take that away because without fail joeuser will see boboper in channel and suddenly think of a thousand questions to ask and was just too lazy to join the help channel or boboper is lurking and busy doing other ircop tasks and doesn't have time to answer trivial questions.

Please believe me, I've been an irc net admin for 15 years now and we as opers really do have better things to do as opers. This is why help channels were invented in the first place, to allow users a place to go and get help from ircops not busy doing other things.

Thanks.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Thanks for both your opinions, cherion + katsklaw

As a module, it would be "optional" meaning if you did not want the feature, You would not use it.

I hope a module coder who browses here will consider making it, as I think it's useful, and if it's coded, it's there for anyone to use.
warg

Post by warg »

Your point is valid, Swampy. Although I disagree and consider such oper behavior to be unethical and abusive, it is of course your choice. However, IMHO there is absolutely no need for such a module, as the ability to evade bans is already available in UnrealIRCd - Oper Override.

The following is an excert from the documentation at http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/un ... eroverride:

Some little info about OperOverride:
OperOverride are things like: joining a +ikl channel and going through bans (you need to /invite yourself first however), op'ing yourself in a channel, etc.
The can_override operflag was added as an attempt to stop oper abuse. No oper is able to override by default, you would have to give them the can_override flag explicitly.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." — Ralph Waldo Emerson