Segmentation Fault - error 4 in ircd - channel destroyed

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Grimdari

Segmentation Fault - error 4 in ircd - channel destroyed

Post by Grimdari »

Before I posted this as a bug report. I wanted to get a bit of feedback from the forums here concerning the back trace.

This particular line shows up numerous times with the same channels involved. No other channels appeared in the back trace. I removed the server name but everything else is intact.

#0 ircvsprintf (str=0x722862 " PRIVMSG #garbage :Channel #Goku_SD has been destroyed\r\n", format=0x7f8fda3c1302 <Address 0x7f8fda3c1302 out of bounds>, vl=0x7fffe22a5be0) at ircsprintf.c:289

Should I be concerned with the channel being destroyed as a possible security problem? Please excuse me if I am over reacting. :)

I read through other forum posts concerning destroyed channels as merely everyone has left the channel and it has been removed from memory. However, I also found this line in the backtrace.

<error reading variable c (Cannot access memory at address 0x7f8fda3c1301)>

Again, please excuse me if I am over reacting, just wanted to double check if this is in any way related to security. Thanks!
katsklaw

Re: Segmentation Fault - error 4 in ircd - channel destroyed

Post by katsklaw »

destroyed is indeed when the last person leaves. When the first user joins the channel entity is "created" with creation timestamp and gives ops to the creator unless configured otherwise. As long as someone is in the channel it "exists". When the last person leaves the channel is "destroyed" which means all data is wiped from memory and it's as if the channel never existed.

Your read error isn't about the same memory alloc so without more info I'm inclined to believe the 2 aren't related.

Lastly, in the latest version, 3.2.9, the term "has been destoyed" doesn't appear anywhere in the official source. Perhaps your source is altered? It may also be caused by a 3rd party module, try unloading all 3rd party modules. If it's an older unaltered version, try upgrading to version 3.2.9.
Grimdari

Post by Grimdari »

Thank you, katsklaw!

I am indeed running 3.2.9, so I believe what you said about third party modules holds true. I only have a couple modules added, so let me look through those and will comment on what i find. Thanks!
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I suggest creating a bug report for any crash.
The only exceptions are if you are using an old version, if you suspect buggy 3rd party modules, or if you altered the source.
Even if using 3rd party modules, just report it but be sure to mention them in the bug report (there´s a separate field for it in the bug report).