IRCD cloaking issues

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
ratman

IRCD cloaking issues

Post by ratman »

hey guys,

One of my users brought an issue to my attention this morning. Our network is adult oriented and a good number of people feel that the default cloaking module does not do a good enough job cloaking the hostmask. If the server cannot resolve a users IP address on connect it will cloak the whole thing, like this:

Code: Select all

*@177926D2.C4CA6D69.46310FA3.IP * 
This is what I want. However, if the server can resolve a users IP to a hostmask this is what I get:

Code: Select all

*@kinkster-46F4885E.dyn.optonline.net
any way to get full cloaking ALL the time?
ratman

Re: IRCD cloaking issues

Post by ratman »

Should be fixed by using set :: options :: dont-resolve :)
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

as you stated, the former example is from the server failing to get a resolution on an IP. IP's are NOT required to be resolvable and there is no way to assign a host to an unresolved IP. The latter example is a resolved host. There is nothing you as an IRC admin can do to force providers to use RDNS and it's a fact that will just need to be accepted.

Both examples are proper and both are just as secure. They are a result of a hash and cannot be decrypted since there is nothing encrypted to start :) The cloaking module works fine does it's job well. If the vanity of having the latter is an important issue, use HostServ to assign fake vanity hosts so it doesn't matter if the users IP resolved or not, they will have the exact same host regardless. Another option is to use vhost blocks.
ratman

Post by ratman »

katsklaw wrote:as you stated, the former example is from the server failing to get a resolution on an IP. IP's are NOT required to be resolvable and there is no way to assign a host to an unresolved IP. The latter example is a resolved host. There is nothing you as an IRC admin can do to force providers to use RDNS and it's a fact that will just need to be accepted.

Both examples are proper and both are just as secure. They are a result of a hash and cannot be decrypted since there is nothing encrypted to start :) The cloaking module works fine does it's job well. If the vanity of having the latter is an important issue, use HostServ to assign fake vanity hosts so it doesn't matter if the users IP resolved or not, they will have the exact same host regardless. Another option is to use vhost blocks.
I will look into the Vhost blocks. That's not a bad idea :)
DangerDane

Post by DangerDane »

is there some way to use a vhost block to "force" a vhost on everyone without them logging in or something?.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

DangerDane wrote:is there some way to use a vhost block to "force" a vhost on everyone without them logging in or something?.
Not without a module.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

katsklaw wrote:
DangerDane wrote:is there some way to use a vhost block to "force" a vhost on everyone without them logging in or something?.
Not without a module.
Or services with HostServ :)
DangerDane

Post by DangerDane »

I have Anope with HostServ so I can set up hostserv to assign everyone a specific hostname.