[REQUEST] Module to report bullying and harassment

Looking for a module? Or want to see one converted to 6.x?

Moderator: Supporters

ivp

[REQUEST] Module to report bullying and harassment

Post by ivp »

Wondering is it possible to create module, somewhat similar to UnrealIRCd 5's channel history playback, so users can report bullying and harassment from private chat to IRC operators?

For example, user would type /REPORT and the last X lines of private chat would be forwarded to #help channel, so operators can ban the problematic user.

Currently users are doing copy&paste or send screenshots, both being unreliable and complicated.
HeXiLeD

Re: Module to report bullying and harassment

Post by HeXiLeD »

What would a module like this be called?
Millennial mode? SJW module? Trigger module? or just wimp module?

Screenshots complicated? :roll: ummm definitively a millennial mode. (do it for me me, a screenshot it's too much work)

The very principle of such type of module idea implies private chat spying.

How would this idea work when the users are disconnected from the IRC server but remain on DCC chat?

Here is the solution, how about /IGNORE and you will never see the user or the idea of keep reading someone annoying pleases in order to fuel that someone and have the admins to do justice for you.

/IGNORE is only 7 characters just like report, no extra effort, no one else involved and works better.

... and there is already a bunch of modules to prevent private annoyance. ie: +P, +D, etc

As for channel annoyances, there are moderators, /SILENCE, -v and bans
As for network issues /SHUNs and much more.

Too many options? Real life life is complicated.

You have a [!] symbol in this post to report my reply.
Constructive criticism leads to evolution and progress. Negative criticism leads to obsolescence. We are not in the 90's IRC world anymore.
CertFP: d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
ivp

Post by ivp »

Most of our users are using web clients, such as KiwiIRC and they don't know IRC commands.

/IGNORE doesn't solve the issue, because problematic user usually repeats the behavior in conversation with other users.

Screenshots and copy&paste can be easily faked.

So one of the parties in private chat triggers forwarding to specified help channel. That's not spying, but reporting inappropriate behavior. Just like [!] symbol does here.

All social networks and communication platforms have "report" feature, too. They even encourage users to report problematic content to them. See:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/21197244/
https://www.facebook.com/help/messenger ... 9093422928

Reporting is always subjective and IRC operators would have to deal with the reports, i.e. consider whether report is justified or not.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I don't think it's a bad idea. It's better than the main alternative which usually involves logging all traffic to disk. The idea from ivp is simply sharing the conversation by 1 of the joined parties (who has already seen the conversation) with someone else (ircops). This, very similar to pasting, but without the problem of possibly faking pastes.

Of course, a lot depends on how you implement it. If you store it in memory for the users session only then it can be done OK. If you need to make it persistent across sessions then it's problematic.

I have no intention at this point to program this myself, though.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: [REQUEST] Module to report bullying and harassment

Post by Syzop »

I have cleaned up this topic due to all the noise. I should have done that earlier.
The request from ivp is clear. I am now going to lock this topic since the only reason for further replies would be for someone to actually code/publish a module.