help to link more servers

This forum is for everyone having trouble with linking two UnrealIRCd servers

Moderator: Supporters

Suratka

help to link more servers

Post by Suratka »

Hello everybody.
Then I state that I am a self-taught and I have no computer science base at all.
all i do is do it by following online guides and try and try again.
I have two vps, on one I installed an unrealircd 4.2.4, + anope 2.0.7. I managed to link them together and everything works fine. after that, I installed unrealircd 4.2.4 on another vps and after several attempts and guides not very understandable to the less experienced, I also managed to link the server B on the vps "B" to the server A on the vps "A".
this operation I have learned by now, now I would like to evolve and understand how to do it in case I would like to link another or more servers. In addition I would like someone to explain to me in a very simple way how to do and how to find the right balance and reliability in the event of the central server falling on vps "A".
There is someone of good heart here who can write a short tutorial, in the most elementary way possible, avoiding the technicalities, which would only confuse me.
Thanks.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: help to link more servers

Post by Syzop »

First of all, linking is generally perceived to be one of the hardest subjects to understand when someone works with IRC servers. So, this is perfectly normal :). We do our best to make the documentation as best as possible but... yeah.. some things just stay complex if you are beginning with something.

You are saying you linked two servers and have linked in services as well. Then you really should have no problem linking another extra server. It's the same as just linking in another server, like you did with your first linking of servers.
In addition I would like someone to explain to me in a very simple way how to do and how to find the right balance and reliability in the event of the central server falling on vps "A".
I see. I think you are right that the cases with >=3 servers are underdocumented, the explaining of concepts of hubs and leafs. I guess we mostly assumed that if you are at that step, you already understand sufficiently of IRC toplogy. This was true in the 90's when other people simply teached other people but... yeah... possibly not anymore. I can see how that is problematic if you are setting up a fresh new IRC network.

And yeah, I realize this doesn't really answer your question.
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

Code: Select all

* Link blocks allow you to link multiple servers together to form a network.
 * See https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Tutorial:_Linking_servers
 */
link irc.test.2
{
	incoming {
		mask 100.100.100.101;
	};

outgoing {
		bind-ip *; /* or explicitly an IP */
		hostname 100.100.100.102;
		port 7001;
		options { ssl; autoconnect; };
	};

/* We use the SPKI fingerprint of the other server for authentication.
	 * Run './unrealircd spkifp' on the other side to get it.
	 * NOTE: requires UnrealIRCd 4.0.16 or later.
	 */
	password "4Q6NLKaqaTjw9Xa2PxsGOaDQn9WugM4FH5EYvniZH3I=" { spkifp; };

class servers;
};

link irc.test.3
{
	incoming {
		mask 100.100.100.102;
	};

outgoing {
		bind-ip *; /* or explicitly an IP */
		hostname 100.100.100.102;
		port 7001;
		options { ssl; autoconnect; };
	};

/* We use the SPKI fingerprint of the other server for authentication.
	 * Run './unrealircd spkifp' on the other side to get it.
	 * NOTE: requires UnrealIRCd 4.0.16 or later.
	 */
	password "Peq4RcxGP2wsedkI91b09ksAMujOIFUjWZfxHAkAMO4=" { spkifp; };

class servers;
I think it's more complicated and anti-intuitive to connect three servers.
I need a brief guide, detailed and easy to understand for those who are not experts.
I created a second link block for the second server that I would link to the main one.
I don't know if I had to, but I guessed to do so.
I also created a new listen port only for this server but it doesn't work.
here are the errors that come to me:

Code: Select all

[quote][20:23] -irc.serverMaster.lol- *** Connection to 176.31.3.243[100.100.100.102] activated.
-
[20:23] -irc.serverMaster.lol- Lost connection to 100.100.100.102: SSL_connect(): Internal OpenSSL error or protocol error: ssl3_get_record: wrong version number. Please verify that listen::options::ssl is enabled on port 7001 in 100.100.100.102's configuration file.
-
[20:23] -irc.serverMaster.lol- *** Connection to 100.100.100.102[100.100.100.102] activated.
-
[20:23] -irc.serverMaster.lol- Outgoing link aborted to 100.100.100.102([email protected]) (Outgoing connect from link block '100.100.100.102' but server introduced himself as '100.100.100.102'. Server name mismatch.) 100.100.100.102[@100.100.100.102.0][/quote]
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

solved I succeeded alone.

I would like to know only one thing
now that I have these three servers linked, is there a way to be operating on all servers, via a single server? or do I have to connect to the various servers each time to take the degrees of operation?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Most commands on IRC have a network-wide effect. For example /KILL to kill a user. To ban a user from the server you use /GLINE for a global ban (instead of /KLINE).

So it depends on what tasks you mean exactly?
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

example :
if I wanted to put ip in exception to allow more znc to enter with the same ip.
do I have to configure it in the three conf of the three different servers or is it sufficient to type / os exception ....?
and if I install a module, do I have to do it on all servers or is it just on the control panel?
there would be other examples, but now they don't come to my mind
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

You are right about both:

For things that require editing the configuration files, like unrealircd.conf, yes you have to do this on all servers.
But there is this feature which makes that a lot easier: Remote includes. So then you can just edit 1 file on a (web)server and rehash all the irc servers in your network (/REHASH -global).

Modules, yeah, this one has to be done manually on the servers, indeed. There is no way around that.
In UnrealIRCd 5 that will be as simple as "./unrealircd module install third/name-of-module" though. Well, and after that adding the configuration in the config files (for which you can use remote includes).
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

thanks for your availability, you are a treasure. I would also have another problem, which always involves linking, I don't know if this is the right place. Do you have experience with Pylink, I installed pylink on one of my vps where I host one of the three linked servers that make up the net.
now I should configure pylink to connect in localhost with the ircd server installed on the same vps. can you help me? I saw that it is quite complicated and I still haven't figured out if I should also set unrealircd.conf.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I don't have experience with pylink myself, sorry. But yeah, on the unrealircd side you use link { } blocks for pylink, just like with other unrealircd servers, services, etc.
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

no problem, somehow I will succeed. I want to thank you for your patience and availability.
THANK YOU :*