Linking 7 servers private network

This forum is for everyone having trouble with linking two UnrealIRCd servers

Moderator: Supporters

ofr8601

Linking 7 servers private network

Post by ofr8601 »

Hello,

I am using unrealricd 4.2.2 and I am trying to link 7 servers in a private network. I have a link block for each server and would like them to connect in a specific hierarchy where all servers connect directly to a single primary server, and then I have a structure of fail over mechanisms where I want to force the servers to connect to others in a specific order. I have added server classes where I implemented different connection frequency so that the primary server is attempted say.. every 30 seconds, secondary servers every 60 seconds, and tertiary servers every 120 seconds.
My questions are:
1. when the servers are turned on, do they attempt to connect to all servers listed in the link blocks, and then follow the connection frequency stated in the server class?
2. is the first link block in the config file the first server that is attempted?
3. If there is a deny link block in place between two servers if the primary sever is connected, and those two servers connected to each other prior to realizing that the primary server is connected, will the deny link get triggered and squit the former connection allowing an opportunity to connect to the primary server?
4. I have been forcing the hierarchy by logging in as the oper and "squitting" servers not in the desired hierarchy until my hierarchy is accomplished; however, there are times that I get the following error:
Link [@ip] cancelled, server server2.chat exists from server5.chat
the link gets cancelled and my desired hierarchy is not in place anymore. How can I avoid this, if possible?
katsklaw

Re: Linking 7 servers private network

Post by katsklaw »

Sorry it's been so long for this reply.

A few things.

1. Servers do not connect to each other at all unless you specify "autoconnect" in the link block(s).
2. The more strict you are with your hierarchy, the less flexible your "plan B" will be. What I mean is that the goal to have servers is for them to be connected at all times. The order they are connected really shouldn't be a high priority so long as they are responsive.

My advice is to relax with your hierarchy expectations. If you are constantly squit'ing and connecting servers, you will have more net splits than are needed; which can be seen by users as a sign of instability. Squit'ing servers should be a last resort tactic. It's better to just allow the servers to connect where they can do so with low latency and be happy with it.

Personally I have link blocks on all servers, for all all servers so they can be connected anywhere at anytime. If Server1 drops, I just connect Server2 to the first server I can, then leave it alone.

Of course it's your network; do with it what you will. Just bear in mind that all of your actions have consequences.

Good Luck.
ofr8601

Re: Linking 7 servers private network

Post by ofr8601 »

Thank you for taking some time to answer my question.