Unreal 6.0.0 : prefixes for chanadmin and chanowner

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

CrazyCat

Unreal 6.0.0 : prefixes for chanadmin and chanowner

Post by CrazyCat »

Hi there,

I can't find the option to deactivate the prefixes for chanadmin and chanowner (& and ~).
After doing the upgrade, I had the bad surprise to notice they were activated. So I tried to recompile from the source, the option doesn't exists.

Did I forget something ?
k4be
UnrealIRCd coder

Re: Unreal 6.0.0 : prefixes for chanadmin and chanowner

Post by k4be »

Quoting release notes:
The five level modes (+vhoaq) are now also modular. They are all loaded by default but you can blacklist one or more if you don't want them. For example to disable halfop: blacklist-module chanmodes/halfop;
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

No, this option seems to remove the levels, I want to not use the prefixes but keep the a and q levels.
Support for compiling without PREFIX_AQ has been removed because people often confused it with disabling +a/+q which is something different.
I want to compile with this, and having a and q show as @ only
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I'm afraid that is no longer an option in UnrealIRCd 6. The reason it existed in the first place was because at the time when +a/+q were added, additional prefixes did not exist yet and it basically functioned as a "list mode" (hence the ability to query via /MODE #channel q). Later on prefix support got added in all IRC clients out there and now this option is finally removed.

The "without prefixes" ./Config option wasn't just a matter of showing or not showing the prefix, actually. It also changed rules such as +q requiring +qo at some places, and not at other places. So:
  • At places where +q required +o as well: Someone with +q but without +o would be unable to perform an action that an ordinary chanop could, which is a bit confusing to the channel owner
  • At places where +q worked without +o: Someone without any prefix seemingly being able to do bypass things, which is confusing to bystanders (if they look at the nicklist they see someone with zero privileges).
It was not implemented consistently in the code and complicated things in the code because we normally check for like "if +h/+o/+a/+q" or like "any level/rank above xxx", and now you would need to have special treatment for not an OR but an OR a/b/c/(d AND c). That sort of stuff. And it's undertested because few people use it and thus is bound to have bugs/inconsistencies.

Now it is simple: every "rank" has a prefix. And you can (un)load them if you want or not.

(Edited 15 mins later for clarity)
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

Ok, the 6.0.1 works well after the correction of the issue #4454 but now I get lot of warn notice because of unknown mode setted by services (anope 2.0.10):

Code: Select all

08:24:41  Zeolia -- avalon.zeolia.net: mode.REMOTE_UNKNOWN_CHANNEL_MODE [warn] Server services.zeolia.net sent us an unknown channel mode +q!
08:24:42  Zeolia -- avalon.zeolia.net: mode.REMOTE_UNKNOWN_CHANNEL_MODE [warn] Server services.zeolia.net sent us an unknown channel mode +q!
08:24:42  Zeolia -- avalon.zeolia.net: mode.REMOTE_UNKNOWN_CHANNEL_MODE [warn] Server services.zeolia.net sent us an unknown channel mode +q!
I know I can disable the logging of warn notices, but I think it's quite annoying for ircops.

Short explanation : I don't want to make any "visual" difference between chanowners, chanadmins and chanops, but I don't want to receive warnings because some users are founders of their channel.
Or did I forget/miss something in anope settings ?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I think k4be was working on some anope code so it won't send MODE +q/+a if those chanmodes are not available. Not sure about the current status.
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

I'll ask about that on anope forum, thanks Syzop !
Lord255

Post by Lord255 »

k4be made the changes on anope side (unreal4 protocol), Sadie (anope side) is checking the changes and will approve it if all fine.
(this is the latest status about it i presume)

here is the PR which he made:
https://github.com/anope/anope/pull/285

(if you are talkin about this.. :))