DCC? Is there any way to still send files?

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

Imeguras

DCC? Is there any way to still send files?

Post by Imeguras »

Im on version 6.0.4.1 and i pretty much want to allow sending files mainly to a bot(which in turn will some magic) or even between users, im new to irc and even newer to the DCC protocol, the problem is: i cant find anything about it on the documentation, appart from the dcc allow and deny blocks. Is DCC still being supported by unrealircd? i've even saw a joke on the wiki saying how no one can configure it right.

Worse is that clients seem to also "ignore" dcc. I know its possible to just get a server upload there and then provide some kind of url, but i really which to be able to just send the file directly instead of having to store stuff using third parties.

Did i miss some section of the wiki? Has it been deprecated? Is there a new protocol?
CrazyCat

Re: DCC? Is there any way to still send files?

Post by CrazyCat »

If you didn't set any deny dcc block in your configuration, DCC is allowed.
If you can't DCC send file to your bot, the trouble may come from it, not from unreal.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

In everyday IRC practice DCC is a nightmare. And it has been like that for decades, so that's why the wiki probably says that.

Nowadays most people upload things on the web and post a link to on IRC. Some IRC clients even "auto load" image links due to this practice. So people upload to temporary sites like imgur for images or pastebin/dpaste for pastes.. or personal dropbox / google docs / etc..

There is no other (successor) protocol at the moment.
Imeguras

Post by Imeguras »

Thanks for all the replies i really shouldve tried it on weechat at home apparently i might have either misconfigured kiwi or it doesnt support it all together
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

Not seen dcc option in kiwiirc.
Using weechat:

Code: Select all

/dcc send Jarvis ~/mytext.txt
16:29:49 weechat xfer : offre de fichier pour jarvis (irc.Zeolia), nom : mytext.txt (nom local : /home/crazycat/mytext.txt), 5812 octets (protocole : dcc)
[16:29] Refused DCC SEND mytext.txt (no access): [email protected]
[16:29] CTCP DCC: SEND mytext.txt 3232235672 53737 5812 from CrazyCat ([email protected])
Unreal6 has no trouble with that (Jarvis refuse dcc send, that's normal)