Problems with geoip-classic in unrealrcd 6.0.4.1

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

Suratka

Problems with geoip-classic in unrealrcd 6.0.4.1

Post by Suratka »

Hello everybody. I recently installed the new unrealircd 6.0.4.1. I managed to configure it by adapting the file.conf of 5 and it started.
But I saw that when I was doing whois users there was no nationality, so I looked up and saw that I had to add a command in the.conf file

So I added:

Code: Select all

set {
    geoip-classic {
        ipv4-database "GeoIP.dat";
        ipv6-database "GeoIPv6.dat";
    }
}
But from here on unreal6 has not started anymore and gives me these errors:

Code: Select all

[error] /home/server/unrealircd/conf/unrealircd.conf:79: set::geoip-classic::ipv                                                                                                                     4-database: cannot open file "/home/server/unrealircd/data/GeoIP.dat" for readin                                                                                                                     g (No such file or directory)
[error] /home/server/unrealircd/conf/unrealircd.conf:80: set::geoip-classic::ipv                                                                                                                     6-database: cannot open file "/home/server/unrealircd/data/GeoIPv6.dat" for read                                                                                                                     ing (No such file or directory)
I wonder where am I wrong.

Am I the one who misunderstood? Can anyone help me? Thank you.
CrazyCat

Re: Problems with geoip-classic in unrealrcd 6.0.4.1

Post by CrazyCat »

Do you have the GeoIP.dat and GeoIPv6.dat files ?
Re-read the doc (https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Geoip#s ... ip-classic): Normally you would NOT set these and stick with the defaults.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Yes, exactly what CrazyCat says. You should normally not have these set::geoip-classic lines in your config file. If you don't have these lines then the databases are automatically fetched online. This works via the last few lines at the end of conf/modules.default.conf. It does automatic updates too. So, unless you changed that file, or don't use it, you shouldn't have to do anything special, it works out of the box.

Also, we occasionally see people complain they don't see a country in WHOIS for users who are connected from 192.168.* / 10.* / 127.* IP addresses... well.... I hope I don't have to explain why that does not work indeed :D
Suratka

Post by Suratka »

at the beginning nothing is set in the configuration file. unralircd6 started but I didn't see countries in whois. So I put in the unreal.conf the set :: geoip-classic .....
to see if it worked but nothing, so it gives me an error. I also went to see in / data and the geoip.dat and geoip6.dat files are not there.

I haven't moved anything in conf / modules.default.conf
David

Post by David »

I have the same problem, there is no way to download the .dat files and unrealircd does not start with an error
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

David wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:34 am I have the same problem, there is no way to download the .dat files and unrealircd does not start with an error
Give us the error, we can't guess it.
David

Post by David »

[error] /home/irccam/unrealircd/conf/unrealircd.conf:122: set::geoip-classic::ipv 4-database: cannot open file "/home/irccam/unrealircd/data/GeoIP.dat" for readin g (No such file or directory)

Edit:
I solved downloading the .dat files directly