New Central Blocklist to reduce spam

News about the UnrealIRCd project, including release announcements
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

New Central Blocklist to reduce spam

Post by Syzop »

The UnrealIRCd Central Blocklist is an attempt to detect and block spammers. It works similar to DNS Blacklists but the central blocklist receives many more details about the user that is trying to connect and therefore can make a better decision on whether a user is likely a spammer or not.

Since early October we have been testing the system with around 10 networks against efknockr, which currently has a 100% detection rate, catching them before they are actually visible online on IRC. Naturally the system is not meant only against efknockr but as a way to fight all kinds of spambots. We are now opening up the system for registration to everyone. Keep in mind the system is still quite new and we have to manually approve requests. If you are interested in trying it out, go ahead! To get an account, you can go to https://www.unrealircd.org/central-api/. Using it requires UnrealIRCd 6.1.2.x. Also, it only works on *NIX, Windows is not supported at the moment.

Central Blocklist is part of a new set of UnrealIRCd Central API services. It's the first API call that is available. In the near future we wish to expand it with a way to report spam too, since that would help us to improve the system and to make it react faster to new types of spam.

To read more about Central Blocklist in particular, there is https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Central_Blocklist. That page explains in detail how it works, what data gets sent, privacy, everything. Then you can decide yourself if this is something you want to use or not. Remember: this service is completely optional. It is an addition to the many anti-spam and security features that UnrealIRCd offers.
CrazyCat

Re: New Central Blocklist to reduce spam

Post by CrazyCat »

Thanks for this module.

After having installed central-api and central-blocklist (and having an api-key) , is there a way to test it ?
The only info I get is via ./unrealircd module list showing me they are installed. I don't have any error msg in logs, so I think they work, but lack of evidence is not an evidence :)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: New Central Blocklist to reduce spam

Post by Syzop »

Not really a way to test it. But you are right, it would be good to see if it is working at all (without enabling debug mode). Maybe some STATS like command. I will look into that, thanks for bringing it up :)